Sunday, December 27, 2009

Get in touch with touch.

Yesterday I discussed touch and asked if it is important to you. Some of you were not sure how to answer so maybe this question will help. During your typical day are you touched by another human being or do you reach out to touch? Instead of a shoulder squeeze are you more comfortable with a handshake? I did a study today and watched people hug. I noticed some people doing a whole body hug and some people looked to keep their lower bodies apart from each other. I also noticed some different styles of hugging. There was a patting on the upper back like you’d burp a baby and I noticed a fast tapping. Some people were comfortable with simply holding the hug.
I know I don't like any baby burping or tapping. I feel like the other person just wants to get the hug over with. If you're uncomfortable with receiving a hug practice with a family member or someone you are intimate with. Remind yourself of a positive childhood memory of a hug. Have you ever wanted a hug from someone? It's OK to ask for a hug when you are in need of some comfort or reassurance. How about a massage? If you're not sure you can start out with a foot massage or a shoulder massage. Chair massage where the massage is performed over the clothes in a seated position is a great place to start. This form of massage will get you used to being touched!

No comments:

Post a Comment