Friday, December 14, 2012

Looking for some “me time” then take a walk.

Yesterday, I decided to take a long walk in the late afternoon, just the three of us, me, myself and I, and had a grand old time. It does not snow around these parts, but I always like to take walks in my neighborhood during this time of year to see how the people who live on nearby streets decorate the exterior of their homes for the holidays.

On the one hand, some people keep things relatively simple and understated and just use props like candy canes in the yard, wreaths on the doors, candles in the windows and a string of lights to outline the house.

But on the other hand, some neighbors go all out and dress (or should I say, style) their houses to the nines with the reindeer on the roof, life-sized nativity scenes, inflatable snowmen families and color-coded lights of all shapes and sizes, all synchronized to festive music. It’s like walking in winter wonderland, California style. Tacky as it might be, it’s truly a spectacular sight to behold and I, for one, appreciate all of the effort that’s involved.

The thing is, it really doesn’t matter how elaborate the decorations are from house to house. Each home has its own charm and it’s just fun walking around from street to street, seeing all of the houses lit up like Christmas trees.

If you’re looking to carve out some “me time” for yourself this month, take a walk. Not only will you get some fresh air and exercise, you’ll also take your stress level down a few notches. And you may just happen upon a cute little cottage that looks like a gingerbread house! Walking is one of life’s simplest pleasures and whether you go by yourself or invite some friends, why not turn walking into daily habit all year round.

Enjoy the light show!

Until next time.
Helen.

No comments:

Post a Comment